Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Almost Broken Bones

We have our very own Evil Knievel. This weekend while Ben and I were in Canada, Hyrum decided to jump off of some furniture, which ended in a less than successful landing. Yesterday morning I noticed his foot was pretty swollen and a little bruised above his big toe, so I called his sitter to ask if he had hurt his foot over the weekend. I learned about his little tumble. He seems fine. He has been running around and jumping, but his foot was still pretty swollen this morning and I could tell that he was favoring that foot a little and stepping on the edge of his foot rather than the bottom of it. Ben and I talked it over and we decided that since he wasn't crying about it and acting normal, he was going to be fine. Today after a full day of running, jumping and climbing it seemed to me that his foot was getting worse, not better, so I went ahead and took him into the nearby Urgent Care center. I was the most pleasant urgent care/ER experience I have ever had. We didn't have to wait at all before he was seen. They did an x-ray of his foot and then we waited just a few minutes for the doctor to examine the x-ray before he came to talk to me. He couldn't see any breaks.He said it is really hard to break a foot bone when they are that young because there are only a couple of bones, it is mostly cartilage right now. He wasn't really sure what to do, because it was pretty obvious that he had done something major for it to still be that swollen. He decided that he would have the nurse put on what he called a post-op splint. It is this foam stuff that they got wet and let harden around the back and bottom of his leg and foot. Then she wrapped it in an ace bandage and then put that colorful cast tape on top of it, just to keep Hyrum from taking it off, which he immediately tried to do. The doctor said that hopefully it would be awkward or uncomfortable enough for him to walk on it that he wouldn't; to give his foot at least a few days to heal. So far it is doing it's job. He has tried to stand up a few times and given up and just crawls to get around.
The nurse used bright green tape for him, which is perfect because when asked what color something is, he always says green. The splint isn't intended to have any weight put on it so generally it would break when it was walked on. Because Hyrum is little enough, it should be alright. We are supposed to go to his regular doctor if there isn't significant improvement within the week.
When we left I told Hyrum to tell the doctor "thank you", but the doc had already started walking off, so he didn't hear it. I was just going to leave anyway, but Hyrum got upset and really wanted someone to hear him say thank you and acknowlege it. So, I went back to find the nurse that had wrapped it and let him tell her. He was happy after that. He is such a sweet boy.

5 comments:

Danny and Kaelynn Baird said...

What a sweet little man. I miss you guys!!! Tell him we think his green foot is awesome. :)

Janae' said...

Poor little guy!!

Anonymous said...

what a cutie! are all your kids going to break something because they're jumping around stuff they shouldn't be? anyways bright green is probably the coolest cast color to get =] hope he gets better soon!

Karin said...

Is it just me, or is this absolutely hilarious that this post came after the "horrible babysitter" post. I guess we got you back!!!

I really hope he will heal quickly and do feel bad about both your kids injuring themselves while under my care.
We didn't mean to get you back!

The Old Man said...

Wow, he can match my right anckle at the reunion! Does he have to stay out of the water? Poor kid.