Monday, January 12, 2009

Life at the Harlows

Well it has been a while since I blogged. Not much has gone on here that Karin hasn't blogged. Sorry for anyone that can't see her blog. Maybe someday I will blog it too. For a quick update; Ben's dad came to visit us, it was supposed to be for Christmas, but the combination of snowy weather and a shortage of de-icer delayed his arrival by several days. He didn't get here until the day after Christmas, but we still had a great time and managed to fit in everything we had planned for the longer stay. For New Years we hung out with the Clarks (my sister-in-law's 'in-laws) who have so wonderfully welcomed us into their family. They are really great! Then we have been to a few birthday parties at the Bryan and Karin's house in Surprise. (Ben's, Noah's, and Karin's).
Currently the kids and I are all fighting colds. The kids got it first, but I think I have ended up with it the worst. My voice is on it's way out and I have a killer sinus headache that no painkiller will vanquish.Check Spelling
Hyrum also has a possibly fractured wrist. He and Josi both wanted to help me make dinner on Wednesday night. I had the step stool out for Josi and while she was getting something for me, Hyrum snuck up in her place. She came back and climbed up there too. Hyrum didn't want her there so he pushed her. Josi lost her balance so she grabbed onto Hyrum for support and they both went down; right onto the tile floor. Josi just landed on her bottom (which, thankfully, in this case she got my genes and has plenty of padding) so it more scared her than hurt her. But poor little Hyrum went down head first and I was sure he was going to, at least, have a huge goose-egg. Fortunately he got his hands up in time to protect his head, but the impact hurt his arm. I could tell he was really hurt because he just doesn't cry like that usually. I had Josi get out an ice pack and after a little comforting I tried to assess the damage and didn't find any bumps on his head, but he kept saying that his arm hurt. So I put the ice on his arm instead and gave him some tylenol. I put off dinner while I let him lay with his head in my lap and I rubbed his head and he fell asleep watching Dumbo with Josi.
He didn't sleep well that night and the next morning he was still complaining that his arm hurt, but it wasn't really swollen and with a gentle examination I couldn't feel any thing wrong. I decided to wrap it with an ace-bandage to keep it still, gave him some more tylenol and he resumed his usual play with a little adjustment for the unusable arm. That night we went to Bryan and Karin's for Noah's birthday and I took the bandage off to see how he was doing. He whimpered a little, but I thought he might just be stiff from having it stationary all day. He ran off to play and even fell down once without any more trouble. Then he started to jump over Brandon who was lying on the floor. The last time he stumbled on his landing, fell down and caught himself with his hands and hurt the same wrist again. All the next day his little fingers were all puffy. He has had the bandage on since, except for baths and clothes changes. He seems to be getting better, but still wakes up a few times at night because the bandage is bothering him. He is a tough little guy.

4 comments:

Janae' said...

Oh dear.. I hope you get feeling better really fast!! Sorry girl.

Danny and Kaelynn Baird said...

Why do your kids always break themselves? I hope you all feel better and Hyrum's writs gets better. I am so scared for the day one of the boys breaks something. I'm afraid I won't handle it very well.

Amy said...

Poor little Hyma :( Andy and I were sick for a little while too. Hope you all get better quick!

Karin said...

I hope Hyrum's wrist is better. It was so sad to see him hurting so bad. He's such a cutie. Thanks for spending all the holidays with ME! It has been so much fun. I hope you get better soon. I got my fabric today to make aprons with you Tuesday!