This is my first blog. Everything else on here has been impersonated. They may have been words that somewhat came out of my mouth, but I surely didn't take the time to post. So here goes the official first posting . . .
I feel A "desire" to share two pieces of advice I have received in my life. The first one I received at a very young age. Me and my dad were reading Reader's Digest. There was an article about life lessons or advice for life . . . something like that. My dad was explaining them to me because I was rather young to understand. One he explained to me made such amazing sense I have always remembered it. I also have always tried to follow it and pass it along whenever I can. Here it is: "Never refuse a mint." What great advice! I pass it on, not as my own, but as great advice.
The second piece of advice is an accumulation of different experiences and different people's way of saying the same thing. I'll share a few . . .
At my dad's work one year they passed out turkeys to all the workers for Thanksgiving. One worker accepted his, turned around, put in back in the box with all the turkeys and grabbed a bigger one. I believe this was the last time they offered free turkeys.
Before I got married and was dating I read in a book some advice about going on a date. It said if you are not paying for the dinner or movie or whatever it is, then don't complain about it. Even if the dinner is horrible, prepared badly, or poor service you still don't complain. It explained that even though the person paying may have had no fault for what went wrong they still may be offended. After all they spent their money for your happiness and if it doesn't go well they feel bad.
My favorite radio host was a guy named Chuck Powell (at least that was his radio name). He had a show called The Morning Ritual. Every week he did a bit called "that guy." He would pick out an annoying thing about another person, and then talk about "that guy" for a couple of minutes. There was "that guy" who takes family board games way too seriously, or "that guy" who actually thinks the stripper digs him. One that I thought was quite funny was "that guy" who complains about the free food at a party. You know, that guy who complains about the nuts in the brownies the host is offering everyone. I think you get the point.
So the second piece of advice, as I have summed up in my head, is "Don't complain about the free food."
P.S. Thanks babe for posting all my other gibberish . . .
Tuesday, August 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



4 comments:
After moving to AZ, I heard a "That Guy" story and laughed my head off. Haven't heard it since, that was when I was surfing the stations...is he still on?
So what's your point, have you been complaining about Dad's contest and feel bad about it? J/K
Good luck and may the best relative win! I know I won't so hats off to who ever will! See I'm not complaining, I'm just happy I am learning stories about Dad along the crazy endless nights on-line searching for things I never knew about. NOw I am "that guy" that is proving he is NOT "that guy" Miss you~ can't wait till you really live in AZ!
I agree. Dad's contest has been the best thing ever as I have learned so much about him and even a little about me. I think everyone should just be happy for the winner and NOT complain about any details of any part of the final results as this is dad's game not ours... So... if you are being "that guy" and reading this.. Buck Up and see it for what it is, A Fun time for all... LOL.. Love you Ben, hope the best kid wins..
Well said, Ben. Some interesting 'that guy' points you remember. Oh, and I love that you call Jayme 'babe' :)
MOM
Such great advice :D thanks for putting your thoughts to words for us
Post a Comment