Monday, August 3, 2009

Starting Over

During my 3 weeks away, my garden died and the grass in the front looked pretty sad. Ben actually got bored enough once to mow it, which is amazing to me because one of our "deals" when we decided to get a house, was that if I wanted a yard, I had to take care of it. Not a big sacrifice on my part, because that is my favorite chore. Any way, come to find out, a sprinkler in the front yard had broken so one corner got flooded while the rest got underwatered; Problem 1.
Problem two was one of the sprinkler heads in the garden popped off at some point so half of the garden (as well as the patio and balcony) were getting flooded while the other half of the garden got underwatered. Long story a little longer, I only have one little watermelon plant, 3 bell peppers and a jalapeno that survived, as well as chives and thyme. Of course, the weeds thrived! The saddest part is that the tomato plants were loaded with tomatoes.
So, on Saturday I basically started from scratch. I had some bags of manure that I got for free off of Craigslist that I added. The soil was practically white it was so nutrient-less.
After I got out all of the weeds and dead corn, tomato and brussel sprout plants I found I had two little volunteer corn plants and I was able to save one of them. I also had a few ears that were all dried out, one had some of the kernels that had germinated, so I decided to try planting a row of corn from my own plants. We will see how that goes.
A few months back I had found a list of planting times from the county extention website for Maricopa County (that's here :) and between July 15th and August 1st is time to plant peas, beans and corn. So that's what I did. No pictures this time. Right now the garden is mostly just boring, slightly darker brown heaps of dirt. Once I get a few sprouts I will post pictures.

2 comments:

Dad said...

Tried to answer last night but my computer was being obstinate and wouldn't accept my comment. Anyway sorry about your garden I know you worked real hard on it. I hope your trip to see us was worth the loss. We really enjoyed having you here. How did the mattress fair the trip? Still in one piece? You must have been really tired by time you got there.

jayme said...

The mattress did pretty well. We had to keep adding duct tape under the front to keep the tarp from flapping and hitting the roof. We figured how to use the sunroof though, so Janae could tape it while I drove. Saved lots of time that way. The fabric on the bottom of the boxsprings came looser, but I just stapled it back on.