Saturday, May 9, 2009

Happy Mother's Day to me

After bringing the furniture home, Ben took the kids out and left me home. He said he wanted to have a little personal time with them. Made sense, summer is coming on fast and won't see them much for a few months. I was happy to have a little time to myself and I took the time to blog and work on my dad's website a little and watch one of my favorite movies, Pride and Prejudice. Not the condensed version with Kiera Knightly, but the A&E version that is 6 VHS tapes long (I am watching tape 6 now). I am going to have to get it on DVD now though, because tape 3 wouldn't play at all and 2 of the others were not working properly either. Kids!
Well, Ben just got home and the kids lugged in a package, grinning ear to ear, exclaiming Happy Mother's Day and Happy dirfday Muders (Hyrum).




Ben had taken the kids shopping for me. He gets sweeter every year. Hyrum picked out the card and Josi picked out the Hannah Montana wrapping paper.
I asked if I was supposed to open it now or wait til tomorrow. He said I might want to open it now, but I could wait til tomorrow if I wanted.







So I opened it now. Inside was ....




the fabric for my curtains in the front room! And a new feather pillow for the bed. (Mine was a hand-me-down from my mom when I was in junior high and barely resembles a pillow anymore, but I totally love.)





I didn't want Ben to feel bad, but it was the wrong color. It was red, instead of the burgandy I had picked out. I finally got brave enough to tell him, and he said that the lady at the store said they had two of them, but one of them was out.
Of course, it was my burgandy one. Ben, typical male that he is, couldn't tell the difference and got me the red.





It is still beautiful and looks great in the room. It matches the few other decorative things I have in there, like the candles on the table. We hung it up on the blinds to see how we liked it. Ben says he likes it better, and it is growing on me.










Here is a close-up of the fabrics.




I guess next week I will be making curtains, festoons and sheers. I can see now that I am going to have to line the fabric. It looks striped where the sun shines through it. I still have to pick out the rods for them though. I am not sure of the style I want yet though.


Hyrum's own personal gift to me, just in time for Mother's Day, is that he is all daytime potty trained. He still has to wear a diaper at night, but he hasn't had an accident during the day for nearly a week. And he goes when he gets up in the morning. I am so happy I don't have to buy diapers any more. At least not for a while. (Nothing implied!) Thanks Mom and Karin for the cold bath trick.

8 comments:

Danny and Kaelynn Baird said...

I need to go get my material and make new drapes, too. I have no idea what I'm doing, though, so I might wait until I can get some help. :) I need to paint the wall, too.
I really like the material and I like how you painted your wall, too. It all looks really good.

Sterling Family said...

whats the cold bath trick?

jayme said...

The cold bath trick is to give them a cold bath each time they wet or mess in their pants instead of the toilet. It takes a little longer when your water starts warming up in March :) I had to start giving him luke warm showers because he didn't mind them at the end.

Sterling Family said...

isnt that kinda borderline child abuse? it seems so sad to me... :( i just wish there was a way to potty train collan now. but he can't even sit up, so that would be hard.

jayme said...

Nah, I just turned on the cold water, splashed him off a little, soaped him up then rinsed him off. For messier messes, I used one of those spray bottles the hospital gives you when you have a baby (for yourself:o)to get off the icky bits first. He hated it, but it didn't hurt him. It wasn't like he was cold for long. And he would get a mini massage afterward while I put lotion all over his bottom and legs cause the hard water here dried him out so bad. By the way, I hear that in some countries kids are started on potty training when they are 6 months old, but you have to hold them over the toilet and I guess know when they go to the bathroom. Too much work for me.

Amy said...

You know i read that all wrong the first time around and thought the cold bath was for Ben hahaha

"I am so happy I don't have to buy diapers any more. At least not for a while. (Nothing implied!) Thanks Mom and Karin for the cold bath trick."

you can kinda see why right?

jayme said...

That is so funny, Amy. It took me a while to get it. I had to read it over a few times trying to thing outside of my own head to get it. Ben got it right away of course :)

Sar Bear said...

Oh man, now your visiting and home teachers will never go home!